Space heater thought to be cause of AC fire

Share |
By Shane Farley
January 1, 2013 - 12:19:15 pm
The home on S. 2nd is being considered a total loss after a major fire burned there Monday night.
Reader submitted photo

Fire officials believe a space heater in a second-floor bedroom sparked a blaze that gutted a home in south Ark City Monday night.

Around 8 p.m., crews were called to 925 S. 2nd where they found flames showing from the upper portion of the home. There was initially some confusion about who might be still inside, but it was eventually determined all residents were out of the home, fire Lt. Chet Ranzau said.

The home is owned by Michael Byers and Shawn Jones, according to county land records. Value of the home is set at $41,000.

Ranzau said the residence was being considered a total loss and sustained heavy damage from smoke and fire. The homeowners are insured, he said.

The fire was thought to have been started by a space heater, Ranzau said.

Firefighters were back at the home Tuesday when the fire briefly rekindled. It was quickly extinguished.

TAGS:
Share |