A large shop building near Udall sustained considerable damage Saturday morning in a fire thought to be caused by a wood burning stove.
Cowley County Rural Fire Dist. 4 firefighters were sent to 6499 100th Rd. for the report of a structure fire and arrived to find heavy flames and smoke coming from the roof of a shop and aircraft hangar building. The fire was quickly under control but the building – which was roughly 20 feet by 40 feet – sustained heavy damage.
Building and contents damage was estimated at $40,000, according to Udall fire officials.
An official cause has yet to be determined, however, the fire appears to have started in the area of a wood burning stove in an enclosed workshop inside the structure.
The building’s owner is Charles Seitz.
Because the building is about eight miles southeast of Udall, an additional tanker was requested from Sumner County Rural Fire Dist. 9 in Belle Plaine.
Winfield and Mulvane fire crews also responded. A total of five tankers carrying 13,500 gallons of water were used to fight the fire.
The scene of Saturday’s fire. (Courtesy Fire Dist. 4)